Thursday, May 21, 2009

Would You Like Fries With That?

For lunch today I had a taco bowl complete with beans, corn, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, pulled chipotle chicken, lettuce, and tomato all stuffed into a delicious, greasy taco shell/bowl.

This was not at all my intention. With a beach wedding coming up, I have been trying to be good about going to the gym and eating healthy meals. Every day for lunch, I go down to the Random House cafeteria and avoid the pizza/pasta station, the BBQ chicken, the grill and fried food section and make a beeline for the salad bar or sandwich station. It is so hard to settle for a cold, tasteless cold cut sandwich when my stomach is growling for something substantive, like a hot dog with chili cheese fries. But, I tell myself, it will all pay off when I look damn good for my wedding.

I get home around 6 starved half to death and raid the fridge for a healthy snack to hold me until dinner. Hummus and carrots it is. I put the snacks in front of Este, and he holds his taut belly and says that he can't even look at the food, he's so full. Really? What did you have for lunch today?

I really wish I hadn't asked that question. Because the answer was Popeye's. A 9-piece mixed chicken meal with two biscuits and mashed potatoes. Do you know what he had for lunch yesterday? Chicken and rice with beans at the Dominican restaurant around the corner. The day before? McDonald's. The day before that? A Philly cheese steak with potato wedges.

Some people get married quickly because the bride is already pregnant. In our case, we need to get married before the groom starts to show. At the rate he's going, Este will be about 8 months pregnant by the time we get married. Lovely.

So I decided to skip the salad today and go ahead and treat myself to the taco bowl. Call it sympathy cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment